Affiliate Marketing Requires Patience

Affiliate Marketing Requires Patience

11 · 10 · 16

The number one piece of advice I can give to anyone interested in affiliate marketing is to have patience. This is a long-term investment and strategy.

I was talking to a young marketer recently and he was complaining about minimal traffic to his Amazon promotions. His seo-based site is only a few weeks old. It’s great that he’s asking for best practices but it’s not helpful that he expects immediate returns. I said, “Patience”. He responded, “That’s a good one, but something I don’t have. lol.”

Affiliates, Be Patient

If you are on the CPA side of the industry, which expands every year, you can spend money to make money. With that comes higher risk and a significant chance for epic failure and huge loss of money when the products don’t convert or the demand dries up suddenly. We work on the cost per sale side of the industry. Our affiliates use coupons, deals, reviews and other content related promotions. They build their sites out using SEO principles and often using datafeeds. These all take time to mature. Bloggers and other content producers build their audiences for years in order to participate in sponsored promotions with big brands. Anyone that loses patience and gives up after a month will never understand or experience the full potential of this channel.

Merchants, You Be Patient, Too

As I have stated many times, affiliate marketing is not the place to start sales, it’s a place to supplement them. Just as affiliates need to diversify their monetization efforts, merchants need a healthy ratio of SEO, email, retargeting, paid search, media buys, PR and overall branding for the majority of the traffic. An average mature affiliate program yields about 20% growth. That leaves 80% from other channels. Patience means continual testing and tweaking as well as working on multiple ideas at the same time. How many fish can you catch when you have more than one pole in the water? It might take time and different bait strategies, but something will eventually work. Then you try something new and refine the last strategy.

Affiliate Marketing Requires Patience

About the Author

Greg Hoffman
Greg Hoffman is the CMO of Apogee, a digital advertising agency. Greg was named the Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year by Affiliate Summit in 2016. In 2014, Apogee, as Greg Hoffman Consulting, was the recipient of the Affiliate Summit Pinnacle Award for Best OPM/Agency. Greg is a photographer, vinyl record lover, a tropical fish keeper and a comic book collector. He writes with a fancy pencil to annoy his digital-minded colleagues.

Recent Posts

Affiliate Marketing Requires Patience

Southside Market & Barbeque Affiliate Program now on ShareASale

Southside Market & Barbeque, a well loved food company known for their delicious authentic Texas barbeque and smoked meats has launched their new affiliate program exclusively on the ShareASale platform.  “Southside Market has exceptional sausage...

Affiliate Marketing Requires Patience

Great Jones Affiliate Program now on ShareASale

Great Jones, a well loved company known for their boldly colored cookware and comically named bakeware has launched their new affiliate program soon to be exclusively on the ShareASale platform. “Great Jones is a modern one-stop-shop for your kitchen, here to help you...

Comments

0 Comments

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *